One of the key risk areas affecting all businesses and organisations is health and safety. Managing health & safety at work has been a legal requirement since 1974. Done right, good health and safety risk management will support your business, not stifle it.
A key exercise for organisations when creating their health and safety risk management strategy is to first undertake a risk assessment. To do this you need to think about what might cause harm to people and decide whether you are taking reasonable steps to prevent that harm.
- Identify the risks – ask what can harm people in your workplace
- Who is at risk – identify who is at risk and how
- Adding controls – looking closer into each risk, decide what appropriate controls are in place, what the gaps are, and what you need to do to bring those controls in line to offer the desired protection
- Record you risk assessment – make a record that you can refer back to and present as evidence, should it be required
- Review – businesses are constantly evolving and changing, and so do risks, so make sure you regularly review and update your assessment.
Specialist IOSH Training
The Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (MHSWR), Regulations 7 and 8 require employers to appoint competent persons to assist them in meeting their legal obligations for the health, safety and welfare of employees (and also anyone else who may be affected by the employer’s activities).
Seek accredited trainers for the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) that provide training on the following subject areas:
- Introduction to managing safely
- Assessing and controlling risks
- Understanding your responsibilities
- Identifying hazards
- Investigating accidents and incidents
- Measuring performance
No company or organisation wants to fall foul of regulators or lose the confidence of its customers or people – especially when the consequences of an incident can mean damage to sales, loss of trading ability or even imprisonment.
A well planned and alert risk management strategy gives clarity to the varied risks you face and how they translate into threats to your business.
Companies that can help with Education & Training:
If you plan to buy a product or service for your business in the next 12 months please complete the form below.